Author Topic: 406/462 6V FElony head dyno results  (Read 8971 times)

crenbbf

• View Profile
Re: 406/462 6V FElony head dyno results
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
OK Barry

thanks

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 06:29:19 AM »
Its the nature of the test equipment.  Very hard for the water brake dyno to "hold" a wide open throttle engine at low speeds much below 2500 or 3000.  In a race or fast street application you'll have a loose converter or a clutch - so they start out at that RPM or higher anyways.  Fair test.

We can run the engine at steady state - non-wide open - at low RPM and cruise to establish fuel and timing requirements.  Very hard for a normal dyno to do transient and light acceleration testing.  The OEM guys at Ford, GM have dynos that can do that stuff - but they cost millions instead of thousands...

crenbbf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »
A quick question guys

Why are the dyno runs all taken at 3-4000 RPM upwards instead of idle upwards?

cheers

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
Even a normal open spacer would be a good try.
I am pretty convinced that the communication between barrels was a big deal....

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
I've already swapped the accelerated pumps, cams and squirters from my original 6V carbs into the 500's. I won't be firing up the engine again until it is installed back in the car I will try and get the car on a chassis dyno to get the jetting better sorted.

I used a set of alloy 1" spacers under all the carbs, these just were a straight 2 hole style, no taper.  Would like to try a set of the tapered spacers like Blair Patrick used, just to see how much difference they'd make.

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
Very strong running engine - great job!  I agree with Joe on the mixture - its a pain to re-jet three carbs, but the data looks rich all the way through the pull.  Those manifolds might have been hurting a bit as well - but they are pretty darn good for cast iron.  Very cool to see these engines making big power from streetable combinations - that would have been unheard of only a few years ago.  This would make one heck of a sleeper in a "restored" Galaxie....

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Neat.  Need to get that bsfc down in the  mid 4s and your horsepower will come up.  Looked fat all the way up the rpms.  Would be interesting to use  a set of spacers like David S. had on his 6V  to see if it would pick up the same 25hp he did on Barry's dyno.  Also, I would get rid of the 50cc pumps on all three carbs and go back to the 20cc ones and 28 squirters on the end carbs and maybe a 31 on the center carb---if you have them.  Every time you move the accelerator pedal, it will be rich, and a gas hog.  JMO, but I don't like the large pumps on anything but an all out race car.  Joe-JDC

ToddK

• View Profile
406/462 6V FElony head dyno results
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:23:36 AM »
I finally fired up the new engine I had been building to replace the 390 in my 63 Galaxie. I bought the short motor from Randy Millard, it had been put together by Holbrook Racing and was originally destined for a NSS car. I had the piston domes milled for a more streetable compression ration and swapped out the cam. The engine has been topped off with a pair of Survival  heads that had been ported by Joe Craine. The intake is a factory 6V that was also worked over by Mr. Craine.

The engine details are 0.030" over (4.16") crossbolted 406 block, Scat 4.25" crank and rods, JE pistons, 11.5 to 1 compression. The heads have 2.20/1.71 valves and flowed 339/227cfm at 0.650". The cam is a solid flat tappet 252/260 @ 0.050", 0.636/0.656 lift on a 108LSA. Carbs are 3 Holley 500's adapted for the intake, and exhaust is a pair of 427 cast iron long branch manifolds. It was run on the dyno with these manifolds and a 3" diameter extension. The fuel used was premium 100 unleaded, which is available at a few gas stations nearby. Here are the results.

When I installed the carbs, I left the 50cc accel pumps on them. This caused the engine to get an excessively rich hit when all the carbs were snapped open, causing a bog and drop in power/torque. However, once the mixture cleaned up, we managed to get a good power result. The mixture was still a bit rich, but I ran out of time on the dyno to do further tuning. Timing wise, we found best power was between 33 to 36 degrees total. However it is at a safe tune now and I can do further tuning in the car.