Author Topic: Engine master  (Read 5149 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Engine master
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
Compression ain't that bad is that cam as hard on the valve train as it seems the rocker arms must be screaming

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Compression is 11.37:1 against a rules limit of 11.5:1

Rockers are T&D with a 1.9:1 ratio

And yes - with that short duration, high ratio, and high lift, rotating it over on the stand the valves kinda open really fast per degree of rotation.

More valve spring than I ever run normally because of that - over 300 seat and nearly 800 open.  A pretty smart guy told me I was not being nearly aggressive enough on the cam, so I guess we're gonna find out...

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »
Nice Barry how is the class a lot of competition I assume you know most of the compitition regardless I'm sure you will do well you are always right there well at least the couple of years I have been following is there a compression min or max and that cam that rocker must really be angled

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »
"Life" has been pretty challenging lately, but we are indeed prepping this year's Engine Master's entry.  My machinist - Willie Blair - has taken the assembly lead on this one, with lots of coaching and all parts selection by me.  Should be an interesting engine, but not really exotic.

This year they have multiple classes, and I run in the "Big Block" category on October 9.  Minimum cubic inches are specified as 450, so I cannot re-use my old engine this time.  They were extremely late in getting the rules published, and even later in selecting participants - preventing us from doing a lot of the really exotic modifications we'd normally test.  So I am building a basic 482 inch entrant - 4.25 bore and 4.25 stroke.

The block is a salvage item - an early Side Oiler Garage iron test piece where the exterior water jacket core near the starter was too thin making it unsalable.  Rather than scrap it I talked them into donating it to the contest effort.  We simply filled it with hard block to within a inch of so of the top leaving just enough room for water to circulate through the heads.

Heads are mine, CNC ported, angle milled a degree, and moved toward the block centerline .050.  Actually they are the exact same castings as last year because we took them off of my car & freshened them up.  Valves are Ferrea 11/32 hollow stem, with the intake being 2.25 diameter.  Flow is a kiss under 380 cfm at .800 lift.

Intake is an Edelbrock Victor EFI that Joe Craine reworked and flow balanced.

Crank and rods are off the shelf Scat parts - steel crank and H beams with the ARP2000 bolt upgrade.  Pistons are Mahle factory dish with a bunch of modifications.  The abbreviated timeframe prevented us from doing our normal "custom" piston program.  We've moved and deepened the valve pockets and added gas ports.  We took the normal low tension Mahle ring set and back cut the snot out of the first and second to reduce tension further.

Cam is pretty crazy and represents the wild card.  Again - time and dollars are going to keep me from doing a bunch of cams.  It is about as aggressive as we could fit within the Comp steel core without going to a round billet.  Lift is just under .800, duration @ .050 in the mid-240s, lobe centers are 104.  Morel ulta-pro lifters, my adjustable timing set, Jay's front cover, T&D race rockers, etc.

With three weeks to go we have everything except the intake on the engine.  John Marcella (the sheet metal intake guy) is working on a throttle body idea and might tweak the plenum to take advantage of that.  Its already been test fit and tweaked for port and valve cover rail alignment and pushrod clearance.  I need to/want to make a larger tube set of dyno headers.  We need to be running pretty darn soon... 

Stangman

• View Profile
Engine master
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »
What's up Barry you getting ready for the engine masters. You got anything up your sleeve, different motor maybe some of your heads nicely done. Ok get back to work