Author Topic: Basic 445 combination - all out of the box parts, nearly 480 HP  (Read 5831 times)

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
Re: Basic 445 combination - all out of the box parts, nearly 480 HP
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »
Looks like a winning combination.  Keep the forum alive!  Joe-JDC

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Basic 445 combination - all out of the box parts, nearly 480 HP
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
I have not posted one of these write-ups for a while.  I have a ton of them I could do, so I will start off with a really basic package that you could easily duplicate at home.  About as close to a bolt together stroker as you will ever find.

Engine is a .030 over 390 with a 4.25 stroker kit for 445 cubes.  Compression is +/-9.7:1 running on pump premium for testing.  Heads are off the shelf Edelbrock 60065 with no modifications of any sort.  Intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM with no alterations at all other than milling it to fit properly.  Carburetor is an out of the box Holley 750 - part number O-3310, sitting on a one inch spacer.

Rockers are Harland Sharp, Oil Pan is a Moroso T type, water pump is parts store iron, distributor is MSD billet with lighter springs on the advance but the bushing it came with.  Cam is a custom hydraulic roller with 230/234 duration at .050 lift, and .598/.610 gross lift.

Engine fired up with no effort and was broken in for a little while.  After a filter & rocker inspection (the swoopy valve covers are mine - more pedestrian chrome covers will be installed today) we started making a few tests to verify safe timing and fuel curves. 

Everything looked fine and we went into testing mode making pulls and trying things.  It behaved pretty normally, wanting 36-38 degrees of total timing.  It really liked having the secondaries open quickly on dyno, although you are going to want to tune that in the car.  It was surprisingly insensitive to mixture changes or velocity stack, or modest timing moves, running best as-is.  We made at least ten pulls that had peaks within a couple pounds and a couple horsepower of each other.  It was just getting raspy at 5700 so that is where we stopped the pulls.

Overall I think this is a pretty darn nice package for a comparatively modest cost.  Peak power was 479 HP at 5600 RPM, peak torque was 494 at 4600.  Very smooth and linear though with 450+ torque from 3000 on through the power peak.  Idle at 750 RPM gave 10-11 inches of vacuum so it should handle power brakes.

Cell inlet air at 68 degrees during testing with 33% humidity, indicated correction factor at about 5% with baro at 28.96

Video, chart and pictures...

<a href="http://youtu.be/aUM7ckw6Npo" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/aUM7ckw6Npo</a>