Author Topic: 445 with low riser dual quad setup on unported Edelbrock heads  (Read 4159 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: 445 with low riser dual quad setup on unported Edelbrock heads
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
Honestly do not know - and might not get the chance to find out.
But it does fit right into the normal range for the 445 builds we've done - so I do not think it hurt all that much.
Thanks Barry. It's interesting since decades of hot rod lore from learned heads said ports should always match up and the like. 'Course access to modern dynos and lots of testing have proven some of these 'must be' concepts quite wrong and not factual. Thanks to folks like you, Jay and others, actual testing has separated fact from fiction.   

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 01:37:47 AM »
Honestly do not know - and might not get the chance to find out.
But it does fit right into the normal range for the 445 builds we've done - so I do not think it hurt all that much.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:10 AM »
Nice. Missed the first time around the port mis-match. Any guesses as to how much better both hp and torque would have been less the mis-match? A  bunch or just a little?

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
Nice to know the unported intake worked well with out of the box heads.  I am in the process of porting one of those for myself to try.  I wonder what the difference would be with a well ported intake?  Ported heads?  Same everything else?  Joe-JDC

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
445 with low riser dual quad setup on unported Edelbrock heads
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »
First the back story.  This one has been around for a little while, but makes a nice "bookend" for the previous one.  Its another 445, this time done for a two part article in "Hot Rod Deluxe" (second part now on news stands).  The writer is rebuilding a drag car - 60s era FE powered roadster with family legacy.  He provided/procured many of the parts for the build from the supplier community, and we put it together.  Parts he provided included the block, heads, induction, cam, and rockers.

We ran the engine once to meet the magazine deadlines.  Got the data, but found an issue that needed fixing (water in oil) - so he left the engine with me.  We fixed it with a replacement block since repairing a valley crack in a basic 390 block was not fiscally prudent.  Then we re-ran it on the dyno.  Gave me the chance to do some further tuning and we got better numbers than the one reported in the magazine as a result.

Lets go back to the combination.  It is a .030 over 390 with a 4.25 stroker kit.  This one has flat top pistons to get compression up to 10.8:1, and now uses our newer style pistons with the 1.0-1.0-2.0mm ring package.  Runs perfectly fine on pump premium, and is going into a non-street driven car that weighs under 2000 pounds - only reason to be "mild" was a desire for budget control, sanity under power, and zero maintenance. 

Heads are out of the box Edelbrock 60065 assemblies.  Camshaft is a Lunati hydraulic roller, a bit snappier than the one on the prior build with 241/249 at .050 duration and .637/.637 lift.  Oil pan is a Ford truck full length one, rockers are Harland Sharps.  Intake is a factory low riser (yes - unported with the big port mismatch).  Carbs are a pair of swap meet 600 Holleys.

It ended up making 514 peak horsepower at 5400 RPM, and 533 pounds of torque at 4500.  Had 495 torque at 3000, and 500 pounds at 5400 - pretty flat curve.  Rather surprising to me that it peaked as early as it did with that cam - but it repeated several times.  Did not appear to have any valvetrain issues looking at things, and revved smoothly to around 6000.  I suspect that the Edelbrock springs might have been on the edge with that cam - or we might have bumped up against that huge port mismatch. In any case, its another strong running package with unmodified heads and intake, and serves as a nice comparison piece.  More compression, more cam, more airflow = more power.  Idle quality does suffer  8)
The funky white water pump is a dyno only part we used - in the car it will run a remote pump and rear mounted radiator.  The valve covers are also mine, he has perfect original gold painted ones for the engine that he is trying to "protect" from damage.

Dyno cell inlet air on the best pull was 84 degrees, water temp around 140, humidity at 25%, baro at 28.51, and correction factor showing as about 8%.

Charts, pictures, and video....

<a href="https://youtu.be/IblT8wR8nAw" target="_new" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/IblT8wR8nAw</a>

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:36:24 AM by Barry_R »