Author Topic: felony heads  (Read 18695 times)

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
Re: felony heads
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
Somewhere in that thread I gave the ported Performer 390 flow figures, and they were just a little better than the stock RPM.  A lot of work to get the Performer to come up to a box stock RPM.  Jay was going to test the ported Performer 390 at some future date, but may have other plans now.  The problem with a stock Performer is that a stock 390 head will flow more than the manifold is capable of supporting.  ie a regular 390 head will flow in the 230cfm range, and the best port on a stock Performer 390 is not that good.  A manifold should flow at least the same as the head at maximum lift and rpms, or the engine will be sluggish at anything over 3500-4000 rpms.  It may have great low end pep and torque, but once the airflow is maximized, it "rolls over" or "lays down" so to speak.  Ideally on a street engine the manifold should flow at least 110% of the head.  Joe-JDC.

comet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
  im sorry here it is http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1348006909/Edelbrock+Performer+390+stock+airflow+cfm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
  hey joe , i was looking at your intake manifold flow figures between perf and perf rpm intakes and noticed  the regular performer has more balanced flow between cylinders ! is this because of the height differences of the runners and how air would have to bend the corner in the plenum to feed outer corner cylinders? do you think a radius at the plenum entry would bring these runners up to snuff??? also interested in what you came up with on the heads!!! thanks.   
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:50:53 AM by comet »

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:58 PM »
I don't know what flow figures you were looking at, but the regular performer is about 75cfm down from the RPM as cast.  If you were looking at my ported figures, that is what I try to do by balancing the flow between all the runners to within a few cfm.  I have only tried that on one Performer 390, and it was a hard manifold to bring the flow up to an as cast RPM.  Joe-JDC.

comet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
  hey joe , i was looking at your intake manifold flow figures between perf and perf rpm intakes and noticed  the regular performer has more balanced flow between cylinders ! is this because of the height differences of the runners and how air would have to bend the corner in the plenum to feed outer corner cylinders? do you think a radius at the plenum entry would bring these runners up to snuff??? also interested in what you came up with on the heads!!! thanks.   http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1348006909/Edelbrock+Performer+390+stock+airflow+cfm
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:56:28 AM by comet »

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
Yes - my fault
Numbering the heads is a very good idea, and I neglected to do that on many of this first run. 
"Life" kinda threw a curve ball at me for a little while, and I am just starting to dig out of the work that piled up.
Joe does indeed have the first pair that were sold to the public - you'll probaably see them on some antique show in fifty years :)

Very interested in seeing Joe's results

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 07:16:25 AM »
I asked him that question last year, and I have heads 12001/12002.  I noticed the new batch do not have a serial number on them.  Anyway, I have the first two! LOL.  I should have an update on flow on the chunk and new heads soon.   Joe-JDC.

ksquared

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
Barry,

You thought about serial numbers or date codes on your new heads? Just thinking ahead to when they become collector items  ;D

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:01:19 PM »
I've only run the beehives a few times, but they seem to work OK.

As for the budgeted parts expense - Motorsports springs are around $110, retainers & locators about $60 each, locks and seals will work with the beehive parts so those remain the same.  Valves are a bit of a question mark right now - but safe to assume around $300ish.

comet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
hey barry, what is the budget allotted  for hardware to complete a set of felony heads? i was thinking of running comp 26918 springs , ferrea 2223 and 2260 valves. what is your opinion on beehive springs 26918 in particular vs standard springs comp 972-16 or 986-16. for comp 280s cam ? thanks!

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »
The first few have had Ford Motorsports springs, Comp hardware, and Rev valves.  Have been trying to put a program together with Manley on the valves but have not pulled the trigger on that yet....

comet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:52 AM »
hey barry ,what brand of valves,springs retainers and so on come on  felony heads ?  i figure on asking all the stupid questions online so i dont get aggro on the phone :-[ thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:26:48 AM by comet »

FElony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
Any idea if you are going to engrave "FElony" on assembled heads yet?

No plans for a logo yet.
However I would like to have a portrait - an image might be interesting...   :o

OK, I just snapped this real quick with my iPhone. Make sure the engraver doesn't screw up my abs. No, this is really me. I swear.

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
Got it.
No problem.
Working through my backlog...

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
Hey Barry,

Did you get my email regarding the new heads? If not, I'll re-send it.

Thanks,

Todd

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
Any idea if you are going to engrave "FElony" on assembled heads yet?

No plans for a logo yet.
However I would like to have a portrait - an image might be interesting...   :o