Author Topic: Big day!  (Read 19343 times)

A98Coupe

• View Profile
CNC'd FElony heads?
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
Barry,

The FElong heads seem to be performing well on these engines especially considering they have had only minor chamber work. I would be interested to know your thoughts on how the respective engines would perform with a full CNC'd set of FElony heads? Can predict how the torque & hp curves would change?

Also, I notice the torque curve on the 527 seems to drop off more quickly beyond 5300rpm i.e. steeper gradient, than the 482's curve beyond 4800rpm.

Does this indicate the 'as cast' FElony heads are reaching their flow limits at 5300rpm on the 527 motor? Or is this more to do with the differences in cam selection between the two? What are the relative lifts and duration between the 2 cams? I assume inlet & exhaust valve sizes are the same?

Just info. gathering for my engine build :)

Thanks
Stuart

Karmann

• View Profile
Re: Big day!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
Barry, that is very informative. Beeing a Design Engineer working with 3D models, graphics are alot easier for me to get a grasp on.
Thanks  ;D

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
This will be a great summer!  ;D  ;D  8)

Hi Morten,

Looks like you've got a killer 'street' package for your mustang! 8) I just wish Barry would isolate the sound of the dyno extractor fan so that you can hear the WOT pull music better! ;D
Looking forward to the final WOT run tomorrow. :)
Regards
Stuart

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
Maybe this comparison of the two engines will help illustrate the differences.

They are both very good packages.  Your's is obviously more expensive with the big bore Shelby block, and of course the EFI, and more challenging to assemble and tune.

A98Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
Hi Morten,

Looks like you've got a killer 'street' package for your mustang! 8) I just wish Barry would isolate the sound of the dyno extractor fan so that you can hear the WOT pull music better! ;D
Looking forward to the final WOT run tomorrow. :)
Regards
Stuart

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
Sounds good!  ;D

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
Not sure what more there is to find - but I am not finished yet either...
Spent a lot of time - and fuel - going through a bunch of part throttle and low load settings.
Really hard to get that stuff nailed down on an engine dyno - but I think I can at least get you into the workable ranges.
At one point I had the thing idling at around 600 - been running without the Idle Air Control motor so I could home in on things without the added variable.  Hope to spend some time tomorrow working out idle settings and maybe go for some more WOT.

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
I understand.
The most important design criteria for this engine from day one, was streetability(is that even a word?).
Hence my choice of EFI instead of carb(s), and your recommendation to go for the FElony heads instead of the initial CNC'ed Edelbrocks.
You fulfilled that criteria with flying colors, my friend. I'm very happy  ;D

I'm tired of running hysterical rpm engines on the street(no TQ under 5k rpm , shifting at 9k etc) so this will be a very welcomed change  8)

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »
An engine builder running out of gas? Does this tell something about the fuel consumption of this engine?  :P
Good thing premium gas is only 10,50USD pr US gallon over here now, hehe.
Who cares about mpg as long as the fun pr gallon is sky high  ;)

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that it only made 18HP more than the 482 you did last week. Same C/R, same heads and 600rpm lower. Those 18 HP comes with a big price tag, so to speak. But again, I love the torque curve. Over 560lbft from 3000 to 5700rpm will be killer on the street  ;D

Gotta remember that your's has a much milder hydraulic roller cam, compared to the 482s solid roller.  You're still making more power, and way more torque while having a milder, easier package to drive on the street.  I've done three 482-496 inch engines in the past few weeks that made 700HP and your's makes at least 20 ft-lbs more torque at peak and about 70 pounds more torque at 3000 RPM.

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »
Hi Morten,

Looks like you've been reading the latest post on Club Cobra's FE forum about engine torque curves? ;)
Anyway, I agree, it makes sense to record as much information as possible through the rpm range so you can understand how the carb, inlet, cam combo is performing and which component (if any) is the weakest link.
Really looking forward to reading Barry's report on this engine as the results will help me/Barry to decide spec. & components for my Shelby FE stroker!  :D Although it's not a big bore version like yours.
Regards
Stuart

Hi Stuart.

I've had a bunch of engines dynoed over the years and some times the readout was as described in that post and I really want a broader view of things. Reading that post on the Cobra forum reminded me to ask Barry about it.  :)

Regards
Morten

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Thanks Buddy!  ;D

I love the torque curve. I appreciate that you build it bulletproof. Not that I'm that hard on engines but it is comforting to know that you've already tried to break it, hehe.

An engine builder running out of gas? Does this tell something about the fuel consumption of this engine?  :P
Good thing premium gas is only 10,50USD pr US gallon over here now, hehe.
Who cares about mpg as long as the fun pr gallon is sky high  ;)

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that it only made 18HP more than the 482 you did last week. Same C/R, same heads and 600rpm lower. Those 18 HP comes with a big price tag, so to speak. But again, I love the torque curve. Over 560lbft from 3000 to 5700rpm will be killer on the street  ;D

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »
Morten
Not final - but some stuff for you to look at :)

My builds, my shop, my guys, my dyno
If it's going to break I want it to happen in my house.
If I can't kill it nobody else should be able to...although I've run into a couple guys that could break a bowling ball in a sandbox...

This is a torque curve...  :)

Still working on it - a bit rich downstairs.  But down to small stuff at WOT.

This pull was open loop.  I usually try to get the map close enough that the O2 correction percentage numbers are small - then try an open loop pull to verify the work.  O2 corrections should be just that - corrections - and not relied on for the tune itself.

Stopped testing 'cuz we were running low on gas - check the fuel psi.  Should have waited a few more minutes on water temp to come up 10 degrees more - I let it cool between efforts and I was getting anxious knowing our fuel situation.

The other A/F is on the EFI system computer - so only one side shows here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8rwxMBmHMY&feature=share&list=UUb-AQ6WAjcksumZz52bzvVg

A98Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
Hi Morten,

Looks like you've been reading the latest post on Club Cobra's FE forum about engine torque curves? ;)
Anyway, I agree, it makes sense to record as much information as possible through the rpm range so you can understand how the carb, inlet, cam combo is performing and which component (if any) is the weakest link.
Really looking forward to reading Barry's report on this engine as the results will help me/Barry to decide spec. & components for my Shelby FE stroker!  :D Although it's not a big bore version like yours.
Regards
Stuart

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »
One more question. I'm sure it wont be the last, sorry.  ;)
When you do the final dyno pull, would you please setup the readout so that it shows the HP and TQ curves from for example 2000rpm if possible?
Some dynoes print out the curves from max TQ and up but I think it will be interresting to see whats going on further down in the rpm range as well. If possible that is.

Regards
Morten

Karmann

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
Great news Buddy!  ;D

Please share all you want. I guarantee I'm the most excited one out there but I'm sure others would like to see also.  :D

Let me ask, when you're tweeking and tuning now, is swapping cams part of the equation also?
That will be too much work I guess but you said that you might want to spend some time with this engine since it has your new heads. Whatever you do, I'm sure I'll get a great engine!  8)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:53:43 PM by Karmann »