Author Topic: A couple of tools  (Read 4415 times)

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: A couple of tools
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »
Pretty cool set of toys there   8)

ScotiaFE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
It is a ringer for a Colchester Triumph 2000, which I have much experience with.
I was a shop instructor in the Canadian Navy and I had 10 of them lined up in the class room. :o
The Champ uses an electric motor start with the go handle, which I perfer over the clutch.
Much more energy efficient and if you've ever had a clutch go down you know what that can be like. $$$$ and the clock.
Much cheaper to replace the motor start at 50 bucks and ten minutes.
Even more so now that I'm paying Home rate to power large 3 phase motors, YIKES
Over all I would give the Clochester a 10 rating for fit and finish. A beautiful machine.
The Champ I would rate a 9 1/2 for finish, just not quite as polished, but for quality it's as nice.
For actual speed/accuracy it's as fast with the right set of hands.
I bought it new in the early 90's and made a living off it and another BIG chomper, that I sold when I closed the doors.
They are pretty much show pieces now. I'm just going to make some stuff for the 427 and teach anyone that wants to learn a bit.
Someday hopefully another hack will make them earn their keep. but not well I'm still here. lol

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Looking good Howie but it's way too clean.  That stuff is at it's best while makin' a big mess, now where's the big pile of chips? ;)

That lathe looks like a ringer for the 15X50 Colchester I learned on, very sweet machine.  Does yours also let the spindle motor run and use a clutch to engage, or does it start the motor when you pull the lever?

ScotiaFE

• View Profile
A couple of tools
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
I've had these for a long time.
They are all powered up now.
Takes a bit to get 600 volt 3 phase in the shed out in the woods. ::)