Author Topic: 527 all aluminum FE with Survival heads and EFI - dyno data  (Read 7506 times)

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: 527 all aluminum FE with Survival heads and EFI - dyno data
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
It is a 4500 Victor with an Edelbrock throttle body.

Cost was well past 20G.  The EFI stuff is very cool - but adds a bunch to the price of an already expensive engine.

RLWEST

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »
GREAT build Barry!!  ;D

If you don't mind me asking, what would a turnkey setup like that cost?
RLWEST
Don't believe anything you read on the Internet! - Abraham Lincoln

hrtatk1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
Awesome combo. Looks like 4500 victor correct? What throttle body?
Were any changes made to plenum or upper runners?
Thanks, josh

Barry_R

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
527 all aluminum FE with Survival heads and EFI - dyno data
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »
Looking through my stuff I do not think I ever wrote this one up.  Please forgive me if I duplicate, but it should not be too "painful" to read about in any case.  The engine in question has been finished for a while now, and is actually in Norway - getting sorted out and running in the car. 

Based on a Shelby block with a 4.375 bore, and a 4.375 stroke RPM steel crank, the intent of the 527 was to have a nice idle and driving package with big power.  We took the normal high performance 445 style combination and "super-sized it", where everything just got "bigger".  We needed something that was fuel tolerant and not too race car like in manners.  The hydraulic roller cam is 242/248 @ .050, with .643/.637 lift and 113 centers - sounds big until you factor in the cubic inches.  Compression ratio is in the middle 10s - I did not want to push the fuel too hard even in an all alloy combination since I don't know the fuel chemistry and quality over there.

The cool factor lies in the choice of a FAST multiport EFI system, using the xFI controller for full adjustability.  This is wired and plumbed onto an Edelbrock Victor intake - which was port matched to the heads.  The MSD billet distributor is also timing controlled via the FAST box.  We used a set of the our new cylinder heads on this one - valves at 2.200 and 1.710, with a straightforward multi-angle valve job and some bowl blending.  The Moroso T pan, Ed water pump and the BT Comp valve covers complete the all aluminum & silver cosmetics and this ends up being a very modern looking and comparatively lightweight package.

Once on the dyno, the engine fired up and we spent a fair amount of time sorting it out in terms of making numerous partial pulls, and many steady state loads at various RPM.  This more complex and expensive xFI is easier - or at least more confidence inspiring - to run on the dyno than are the self learning systems.  With this stuff I can readily add fuel if I see a lean range.  I intuitively know that the self learning features eventually will work, but I think I am getting too old to simply "believe" in the magic.  With this system we can immediately address any tuning issue we experience and get instant gratification and results.

After getting a handle on the fuel curve we were able to make numerous full throttle pulls and had some pretty impressive results.  It ended up making peak 621 horsepower at a modest 5400 RPM, and peak torque of 629 lbs at 4000 RPM.  The torque curve is pretty entertaining with a range over 600 pounds extending from 3800 through 5400.  It'll wind to 6000 and still have great power, but by then you're beyond the sweet spot in the curve.  This thing is gonna be really hard on tires given the torque.  Overall I think this proves the potential of the nearly as-cast heads pretty well too.

Photo, chart and video - along with a link to another web article on this one - are below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDTlp9vfQ0s&feature=share&list=UUb-AQ6WAjcksumZz52bzvVg

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video-survival-motorsports-fe-526-cube-stroker-makes-621-horsepower/

Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:47:21 PM by Barry_R »